Orange County homeowners have had a pretty bad ride over the last three or more years. Owning a home, once seen as a nice way to build a nest egg and build equity, has turned into a nightmare of debt and heartbreak.
But now, in addition to the problem of an overstock of inventory, there’s another problem that’s facing foreclosed Orange County homes, and foreclosed homes across the nation: mold.
In a normal situation, a property has residents who naturally enter and leave it daily and, as the seasons change, natural ventilation sucks moisture up to the attic and out through the roof. It’s commonly called the “stack effect”, and in many parts of the country, like California, it’s pushed by air conditioning in the summer and heat in the winter.
You may think it’s not a big deal for a foreclosed home to sit empty in Orange County, what with our mild weather and al. In actuality, in these homes, the stack effect is not moving the moisture out through the attic, and the results can be devastating.
The fact is that more than half of foreclosed homes have mold and mildew issues, and according to real estate agents across the country, mold doesn’t care if it’s in a mansion or a beach shack. You may think that the dryness of Orange County’s famous weather would not foster mold growth – and you’d be wrong. Any small leak behind the walls will start mold growth blossoming in no time.
So if you’re thinking of buying a foreclosed home in Orange County, have a professional inspect it for mold. You don’t think an investor would just paint over any signs of mold? You’re more trusting of the human race than we are…Banks do not have to disclose the presence of mold to you in a foreclosed home, even if you ask. Don’t rely on anyone else’s disclosure; have it checked out yourself.
Milestone Building Group can come out and give you an honest assessment of the mold conditions in an Orange County property you’re looking to buy, or in your existing home. We also facilitate mold remediation to make that home safe for your family again—mold can be dangerous, and it’s not worth your family’s health to ignore this very real problem.