Today is the second day of National Fire Prevention Week, and we at Milestone Building Group of Orange County support the National Fire Protection Association’s (NFPA) efforts to raise awareness. The theme this year is: Protect your family from fire.
Carelessness starts many fires, and your family’s health, safety, and lives can depend on the smallest of mistakes. According to the NFPA, fire departments in the U.S. have responded to almost 400,000 reported home structure fires per year, between the years of 2005 and 2009. That means over 1.5 million fires in a short span of time. These fires cause thousands of civilian deaths and injuries each year, plus over $7 billion in property damage.
Smoking materials are the leading cause of home-fire deaths, while cooking equipment is the leading cause of home fires and injuries. The best safety tips are to ban smoking in the home and increase the use of caution in the kitchen while cooking. Other recommended safety measures for the reduction of injury and death due to fire include:
- Smoke alarms should be installed; never remove or disable smoke alarms.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors.
- Test smoke alarms at least monthly by pushing the test button.
- Don’t let children play with fire.
- Don’t leave cooking items or clothes irons unattended.
- Handle gasoline or propane-powered equipment cautiously.
- Have an updated, emergency first aid kit.
- Have a family plan in place and conduct a home “Fire Drill” at least twice a year.
- Have a portable ladder in each second floor room.
- Check fire extinguishers for expiration and replace as needed.
If you feel you need help understanding fire safety and how you can make your Orange County home or office safer for your family and employees, call us right away.